The Fiat G.59 was one of the last high-performance aircraft equipped with a piston engine, as well as serving as a symbol of the re-birth of the post-war Italian aeronautical industry. In 1947, the engineer Giuseppe Gabrielli, who was one of the most important designers of Italian aircraft, developed the G.59 from a strict approximation of the FIAT G.55 Centauro, which was considered one of the best Italian fighter aircraft of the Second World War. The G.59, which was always ap-preciated in Italy, as well as in other countries, had been produced by Fiat since 1950, mainly for use, until 1965, by the Italian Air Force as an advanced trainer aircraft. It has a wingspan of 11.86 m and a length of 9.50 m, with an unloaded mass of 2850 kg. Thanks to its engine, the V-12-cylinder Rolls Royce Merlin (version 500-20), capable of providing a maximum power of 1660 HP to a four-blade variable pitch propeller FIAT Hamilton 5010, the aircraft could reach a top speed of 609 km/h at an altitude of 6400 m above sea level, and a ceiling of 12100 m; it had a ferry range of 762 km to 5600 m under normal conditions, or of 1352 km at 460 km/h at an altitude of 5500 m, using the two releasable external tanks. The Museum’s Fiat G.59 4B, which has the military serial number 53530, after completing its service in the Second Air Region (Rome) of the Italian Air Force, was purchased in 1964 by the former Institute of Aeronautics of the University of Palermo and is today displayed after having undergone a thorough restoration in the Museum’s workshop. The Museum's FIAT G.59 aircraft is one of the only five complete copies surviving today.